Want more traffic and links? Perhaps you need to write more scintillating headlines and blog posts.
(Definition – Linkbait: a term used to describe a variety of practices that focus on generating attention and incoming links from other sites and blogs. Some linkbaiting practices are good, many sketchy, but it’s clearly an area worth thinking about.)
One fun idea-generating tool is www.linkbaitgenerator.com which allows you to plug in topics and it will generate a series of topic ideas in response.
So, just for fun, I plugged in the term “social media” to see what would happen. Not bad! Here’s the list:
- 10 under-appreciated things about social media
- 8 outrageous frauds involving social media
- 10 epic fails involving social media
- 5 reasons social media is the new drug prohibition
- 10 common misconceptions about social media
- Why social media sucks: myth vs. reality
- 8 reasons to fear social media
- 8 ways social media can help you survive a plane crash
- 5 reasons social media is the new Twitter (ironic one…)
- 10 ways that civilization could collapse because of social media
- 9 crazy ways that social media is infiltrating pop culture
- 7 ways social media could cure cancer
- 15 must see websites about social media
- 8 reasons to fear social media
- 10 of the biggest social media screw ups of all time
- 5 insane but true things about social media
- 6 ways Hollywood makes social media look ridiculous in movies
- 10 funny ways social media has appeared in music videos
- How social media is part of the liberal/conservative agenda
- 10 of the best social media movies of all time
- 5 amazing things you probably didn’t know about social media
- 5 reasons social media is the new MTV
- 5 reasons social media is the new cocaine
- 10 surprising ways social media will be different in 20 years (just change 20 to 1 and you’ve got a hit)
and my personal favorite:
8 ways social media could help you survive a zombie outbreak
Hmmm, how could it help you survive a zombie outbreak? Warning you of when one is approaching? Identifying zombies to your friends? Sending out zombie alerts via Foursquare?
I recommend you try linkbaitgenerator.com and other sites like it, you might get some great ideas for your next post.
Which of these do you think I should write? Let me know in the comment section below!
I agree with your list that should be taken care of thanks
“no 12: 7 ways social media could cure cancer” would be a sure way to get new readers! 🙂
You might have to collaborate with medical professionals for the sake of legitimacy…(and get their readers too!)
Perhaps you could write about how social media help explore what cancer isn’t, what does and doesn’t work (treatment-wise), how it brings real cases to the fore that the medical community is deperate to suppress, how it promotes unfunded and unsupported yet potentially break-through research and helps the “good guys” get the grants they need. Hey maybe I should write the article :)…only three ways to go!
Sounds like a good idea to me – write it! :<)
What fun! Even if I don’t use it to get titles for blog articles, it’s just a fun tool to get a laugh and the creative juices flowing! Thanks for sharing it!
This Linkbait Generator sounds like a fun device to use. I definitely think some of the headlines you can best work with include “15 must see websites about social media,” “5 insane but true things about social media,” and “5 reasons social media is the new MTV.” However, if you could pull off the zombie outbreak one, I’d definitely click through to that one as well, LOL! Thanks for this great recommendation Don.
Truly, your site is thorough, timely and a university within itself, I So LOVE IT!
I NOT only will apply what you have taught me Professor Don but become a better blogger and reap the social media rewards as I begin to use http://www.flickr.com.
Thanks so much for creating this blog website for my social media experience just got a lot better because of you Mr. Don Crowther.
Appreciate your effort as I am new to social media blogging at least new to blogging the right way.
I’ll be back to take more classes with you in your university of social media DO’s & DON’T(s)
Write, love, live and be well,